I was quite stunned by this. For the first part, it is great (and charmingly bizarre) that there is a craze based around the abacus that has such a following (abacus or “soroban” championships), and for the second part… it is nothing short of remarkable when they get to the stage where they go “beyond the abacus”, and are just doing it in the head, but using abacus moves. And so fast!!! The radio program “Land of the Rising Sums” by Alex Bellos that I learned this from is here. There’s also a Guardian article here. It is all mostly about how numbers and arithmetic are taught in Japan. I think it is great that (from the people they interviewed) there’s a sheer love of calculation and of numbers and that there’s none of the lamentable “I’m not good at this I’m a languages/sports/art person” attitude that is so common in our society and which is responsible for poisoning children’s education so early on. I also love that the abacus is so fundamentally old-fashioned – [...] Click to continue reading this post
Sketches, Drawings, etc
- Lunch Time in Colour - Asymptotia on Dining
- Arvind Iyer on Goodbye, Nelson Mandela
- ZoochosisCOM on Fail Lab Episode 12 – Finale
- Mary Cole on Fail Lab Episode 11 – Failure
- jinborneo on Fail Lab Episode 11 – Failure
- ZoochosisCOM on Fail Lab Episode 11 – Failure
- Gwlio on Fail Lab Episode 10 – Disaster!
- Clifford on Fail Lab Episode 8 – Testicles
- Rob J on Fail Lab Episode 8 – Testicles
- ZoochosisCOM on Fail Lab Episode 10 – Disaster!
- jinborneo on Fail Lab Episode 10 – Disaster!
- Back to Bilbo, Again - Asymptotia on Evolution of a Poor Joke
- The Science of Speed: Week Ending 11/14/13 » on Consulting for a Cat…
- Amy on Why Do I Study Physics?
- jinborneo on Fail Lab Episode 9 – Aggression
- Lunch Time in Colour
- Goodbye, Nelson Mandela
- New Tool
- Fail Lab Episode 12 – Finale
- Fail Lab Episode 11 – Failure
- Film Tips…
- Automatic Beans
- Hands On
- Fail Lab Episode 10 – Disaster!
- Back to Bilbo, Again
- Date Tastiness
- Fail Lab Episode 9 – Aggression
- Why Do I Study Physics?
- Consulting for a Cat…